The holiday shopping season started early last year, but 2020’s consumer trends have nothing on 2021.
Every day, we see new headlines urging us to shop early because supply chains and deliveries have been slowed by the pandemic. In this spirit, we share our plans for Light Up Downtown Scranton, Scranton Tomorrow’s annual holiday campaign, a bit early, too. The campaign runs from Nov. 1 to Jan. 3, 2022. Here’s a preview of some of what we have planned:
• Shop Your Way: This initiative was so successful last year that we’re bringing it back to remind everyone to shop and dine in downtown Scranton during the holiday season. Supporting local is easier than ever as downtown businesses offer in person, by-appointment-only, curbside and online sales options. Shop Your Way also features special incentives from participating businesses.
• Holiday Window Showcase: In keeping with our theme to Light Up Downtown Scranton, dozens of businesses will illuminate the business district as part of the Holiday Window Showcase. Enjoy the beautiful displays on foot, or by car, as you travel to your favorite shops and eateries.
• Black Friday: Black Friday is the perfect time to pick up or order gift cards from your favorite local businesses. Keep the tradition of making this day one of the best sales days for local merchants, and feel good about supporting independent business owners in your community this holiday season.
• Small Business Saturday: There’s nothing small about the impact of Small Business Saturday on the local economy. You’ll find special promotions and one-of-a-kind gifts in more than 50 shops and eateries in downtown Scranton. Don’t forget to pay it forward on social media, and acknowledge your favorite businesses by using #shopsmall, #smallbiz, #shoplocal.
• Cyber Monday: Let’s break the internet with local online sales. We encourage everyone to give local businesses a boost on Cyber Monday.
• Giving Tuesday: Scranton Tomorrow will again participate in Giving Tuesday. To show your support, visit www.scrantontomorrow.org and look for the donate button at the top of the page. Proceeds benefit the projects of Scranton Tomorrow.
Scranton Tomorrow’s business development committee strives to position downtown Scranton as the center of the community, and the hub of economic activity. The group meets quarterly to brainstorm, plan and execute a vision to develop new traditions for a growing business district. Light Up Downtown Scranton is one of many exciting business development initiatives. Business owners interested in participating are encouraged to contact Liz Baldi, project coordinator, Scranton Tomorrow, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dates for Light Up Downtown Scranton promotions, and more, will be announced soon.
Leslie Collins is the president and CEO of Scranton Tomorrow, a nonprofit economic development organization in Scranton.